CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Lil tid bits of everday living...

Right now, at this very minute, it's 4:26 here in Michigan; however back home, it's 2:26. Presently I live in two diferent time zones and I think in two different streams. My body is here in Michigan, but my heart is forever in Idaho with my friends and loved ones.

The weekend before this one, my roommate Jeni went home for the first time. It was milifilous to have time completely to myself, to share a space with no one, but in the end I will have to admit it made me think of my friends and family back home more than I had before. (Especially, because the weekends are so quiet here, most students live relatively close to the campus, and are able to go home often) I wanted to run away back home also. Although I survived the weekend, it wasn't the best weekend; I found myself in a few situations (by my own accord) that afterwards I thought...'perhaps I should've thought that through a lil bit more'...

In the past two weeks, academically, I have given my first speech in my speech class (A group presentation, in which my part consisted of covering the topic of 'current roles of women in the household and the working world' - not exactly my hot topic, but I made it out alive) and I recieved my grade results back this week, getting a full 100%...I was pretty darn proud of myself. I also have taken my first offical college exam. It was for my REL241 class (Old Testament), coving the principles of Scripture interpretation, a few maps, the canon, and various other subjects....I'm still waiting to see how I performed for that test.

Something else that excited me quite a bit, was in package that I recieved from my parents, full of miscellaneous items from home that I didn't manage to get packed into my bags. Included was the main sheets and books of piano music that I play out of. I was simply delighted to find a piano and play my heart out...good release of emotion when you don't feel comfortable talking to anyone around you about the turbulent emotions inside of you.

Urgh, I almost forgot to mention my new 'job'. I was awarded work study, and all campus jobs pay $7 to $7.40 an hour except for one, Phone-a-Thon, that pays $10 an hour. I chose to apply for that job, and what do you know, I got it. Jeni did also. So every week, Monday thru Wednesday from 7:00-8:30p.m. Jeni and I place ourselves in office chairs over at the Earhart Manor where we place phone calls thanking people for past donations to the university, and the inevitable, asking them for more 'green moola' contributions. It's not the most exciting job, but it's not dificult and it works well with my schedule. Besides, I'm working on my social and communication skills.

Da-da-dun! I am indeed playing softball for CUAA. Needless to say I'm pretty ecstatic about it....I'm really out of shape though and once pre-season trainging starts, I'm going to be a little whipped. College sports are definately different then high school though, that's for sure. I feel like I might be in a lil bit over my head, but I'm sure going to try and swim my way to the surface. Sad to say though, after I decided I truly wanted to play and talking to the coach about walking onto the team, the team took a blow to the mitt. The current softball coach resigned and took a different position somewhere else. So for the past two weeks, the team tried to haphazardly conduct some practices together. But luckily, on Friday we found out that a coach has been hired, and hopefully we will meet her sometime next week and our team will get practicing, hard core. :)

This weekend Jeni went home again (She had some duties as Ms. Edwardsburg to perform) and I was left to my own means of entertainment. I spent the weekend watching movies with Ben, Mike, and various other people from the Miriam dorm. I went to a party with my suitemate and friend, Lindsay. (It wasn't my scene at all, fortunately we didn't stay long. The highlight was getting off campus for a tid bit and stopping at a bagel shop...which was delicious by the way. Oh, and p.s. I had my first 7/11 slurpie last night, that also was tip-top) I'm finding that I'm more of a low-key entertainment kind of girl, rather then constantly doing something and being a stupid college kid...blowing bubbles is enought excitment for me, ask the people around me.

(This picture on the left, depicts me trying to learn how to sit the way that Jeni is required to sit for all her pageant interviews and such...I have a lot of practice ahead of me attempting to look suave and lady like.
Hmmm...so I'm pretty much exhausted 24/7. ( Many people around campus have been catching colds, but I have seemed to luckily escape their grasp) My current bedtime has been midnight or later, and I'm really sleepy. I'm going to work on getting more sleep this week, because the bags under my eyes are getting out of control, lol.

At the church that I have been consistently attending Sunday services (University Lutheran Chapel - ULC for short) there is a coffee shop downstairs called 'The Common Cup'...ha ha ha. Anyhow, Jeni and I make it a weekly ritual to go for a coffee date run, as a getaway from campus, and a roommate bonding procces. Upstairs, behind the chapel is a room full of couches, chairs, tables, a piano, a t.v. & stereo etc. It is set up as a study room, and Jeni and I have visited it since for peace and quiet.



Jeni, really really likes as she say's, 'OBNOXIOUS' colors and pattern, she's a huge fan of zebra print and even made her own senior prom dress, using zebra print material with a lime green sash. The first weekend she was home, she brought a car load back...my favorite objects being a futon for our room (which has encouraged people to come and visit our room a whole lot more, and which is also an easier/more comfortable place to work on homework than in my little cave under my bed or up on top of my bed where I consantly get my back all cramped up) and a bottle of 'Turned Up Neon Turquoise' nail polish. We both painted our toenails...not finernails though because this particular color would look garish on any one's fingernails, even in the Halloween season.
This weekend she brought home a Bonzai tree, his name is Frederick. He's pretty peachy, I think he'll grow on me, but not literally. (Plus, any added oxegyn to the room is wonderful)

This week, Jeni pulled a funny little trick and locked the keys of her car in her trunk.( I thought of you Mom, :) She was miserable without her ride until the spare keys that her parents sent in the mail arrived.

Isn't her lil bug look so darn cute...? The black stripes were a new addition by her uncle right before she made her way to Ann Arbor. I do miss driving (especially the independence that comes with a car, when I'm in the mood to run away and be by myself, on the road with the music blaring, just me, my thoughts, and God).

To the right are pictures of family and friends that I have put on my wardrobe, a daily stop when I'm in my room to gaze at the good times and miscellanious memories that I brought here with me. (Mary, Francie, & Elizabee, I have all your letters, cards, and drawings/colorings pasted up also. I just couldn't fit them in the picture...keep them coming though, I enjoy showing them off to my roommate and anyone else who will appreciate your letters of love.)
Basically, I'm still acclimating to the whole 'being on my own' and all the joys, hardships, freeomds, and responsibilities that come with it. I wish I could stay connected to the computer with my fingers furiously typing away the stories that I have....but my homework demands my attention this beautiful Sunday afternoon. So for now, I will leave you with a smile, hoping for your thoughts, prayers (and letters would also be nice), in return.
P.S. Anticipate another blog soon, full of pictures of all the new people that I am meeting.
Until then, farewell my beloved friends and family!































2 comments:

Nedrows said...

Hi Alexis, your Mom told us that you had new stuff on your blog. To tell you the truth this is the first time I have had a chance to get on and look. I can't look at the office as it blocks it. I have never done a blog and proceeded to write you a note and go to post it and found out I had to register first, so all I said the first time is gone.

It sounds like you have a great roommate and friends, but you are easy to make friends with. We missed you today at the Ashton Living Center playing the piano for us. Guess what - Ila Marotz came and listened to us in her wheelchair!! I haven't seen her out of her room or bed in months. It was great to see her and she looked good. I also missed mussing your hair and giving you a hug! You will have to get Jeni to muss your hair for me although it sounds like it wouldn't make a difference with the humidity.

I know what you mean about everything always being damp. We used to have to visit my Grandma in Queens, New York every few years as we were growing up. I remember getting out of the shower and never exactly getting dry. I think the only good thing when I go back there is the moisture in my skin comes back. It is always so dry out here.

Kevin played Junior High Soccer this year. Jake and Julie Jacobson (Dave's Jubilee) decided to try it. They had 26 kids come out and play - boys and girls, but didn't have enough to make 2 teams. They played other teams that were 8th and 9th graders. They tied one game with Driggs and the rest they have lost. Hopefully they won't get too down on themselves and learn from this year. They will only be losing 4-8th graders as the rest were half 7th and half 6th graders. They did get a little intimidated at times. None of the other teams had girls, which doesn't mean they can't play, but you get a little 6th grade girl up against a 9th grade boy and they tend to duck. It has been fun watching them. They have uniforms and everything.

Luke still dreams of football. He really wants to play Grid Kid next year. Don't know if Alan and I want him to play though. We will see. He is still taking his guitar lessons and still loves them.

I am doing end of year stuff at the office. I am in charge of entering all the accomplishments we have done during the year in the computer. It is a database that I use and takes a while to put everything in so I was in the office all last week instead of out in the field - yuck.

The weather has been really nice and they continue to try and get the grain and are just starting the potatoes. In fact this is spud harvest the next 2 weeks. You might miss that?

I guess I had better sign off. Take care, it sounds like you are experiencing all kinds of new stuff.

We love you lots.
Alan, Becky, Kevin and Luke

Carlie said...

Hey you, I love your novel posts! I was all miffed to hear that your roomies made fun of our time-honored spud harvest traditions! I start bright and early tomorrow (so I don't know why I'm still awake) and I'm stoked about it! I can't wait for a letter. Make sure you put a return address on it. That'll be fun! Anywho, I miss you like crazy. I'm sorry you spent the weekend alone. But, you look so cute in all your photos. I love you! It was good to see what you're up to.