So...
On the the 26th of of August, I left my home of 18 years, good ole St. A, Idaho. I have swam to a whole different fishbowl here in Ann Arbor, Michigan...doggy paddling with the big fish for sure.
Next topic of discussion...things that made me a lil more comfortable about my new environment was some of the scenery that my mother and I found on the backroads when we went for a joy ride to find supper. They remind me a lil bit of home. Country style.
And just for your information... It is really hot and humid here. I always feel like I need a shower, my hair is frizzy and untamable, and jeans are impossibly sweltering at this point and time in Michigan. There's a lot of new things to get used to, I'm definately not from around here, and people have already noticed that. (Which...I haven't ascertained whether that's been a good or bad thing for me)
My room here at CUAA is small, quaint, and pretty rad, topped off by my roommate Jeni Bollenbacher. We just rearranged it yesterday, lofted our beds (which created little caves for us to study underneath....pretty awesome if I do say so myself) and I'm trying to add little touches of my own pictures and collages to make it feel more like my home instead of a cement walled dorm.
So here my room was before the renovations, just barely, don't judge us for our lack of organization at first. It was a chaotic day.
Oh and p.s. that's my stellar roommate Jeni, if I haven't already mentioned. And now...without further ado. Is my side of the room...at the current moment. Jeni's side is setup exactly the same, but with her stuff. It took five girls, and during the process we managed to drop the bed onto a girl's head (she's got a pretty strong noggin)...but it was all in good fun right? But after that hefty process, I think we're all done with rearranging our room for a long while. Which is fine by me.
That is one thing about Concordia that I loved from the moment I walked onto campus. I may not be able to call this place home, but I feel at home in Christian fellowship. It's a wonderous feeling to be surrounded by so many people that share the same faith as me. Completely heart swelling right there.
Tomorrow is my first day of classes, when the college schedule really begins. To be honest, I'm scared, anxious, nervous, and excited all in one. I just don't know what to expect. I'm super worried that I won't be able to balance my life the way I need to. It's difficult for me right now to be stranded half way across the country and completely alone. I liked my lil bubble...and it's been officially popped.
Three days into the college experience, and I am as of yet undecided as a whole. There are things I know I will love, and there are things that I'd rather run away from, and most of all there are things that I'm completely uncertain of. God has me in the palm of his hands though, and as long as I keep remembering that, I'm not too worried. I just have to learn to trust outside of myself.

9 comments:
Hi Don't know if the other one posted...really enjoyed your story and pictures. Love you lots
Alexis - your initial post (keep it by the way - you will enjoy it when you look back to see how you started as a minow) made me cry (wanting to rescue you) and put a smile on my face (you courageous one). Independence - you should always be careful what you ask for. I love the bed - the top bunk was always my favorite too. I miss you so and can't wait to see your smiling face. Keep up the blog and pictures. Tell Jeni hi from me and let us know your address so I can send you goody bags. Love ya - Wendy, Katy, Holly and Niklas
Alexis I think you should move your bed. Haha it doesn't seem too stable.... :)
Lexi! It's Christina/Dubs! Thanks for linking me to this site. It's great to hear how you're doing!! I can't believe you're in college already! That's so exciting! Don't worry, things will get a lot more comfortable as you get settled in, as I'm sure you're already realizing. I'm so excited for your college life and to see how God is continuing to work in your life! Keep updating because I would love to hear more ..and know you are still in my prayers!
Its so cool to see you in your new fish bowl, Lecki(?) (we never did determine how to spell what we call you, maybe it should look more like g-e-ek-b-u-r-g-e-r) I miss you. I hope classes go super smooth. Be sure to keep posting.
Look at you with a blog! yay! Twin blogs! You better be commenting on mine now that you have one. I'm so happy I can check up now! I love you glad you're doing well!
Hi I love your blog! You are so good at telling your story and helping us see the new life you are entering into. It looks good to me and you have a good looking roommate! I heard recently that Ann Arbor has the best teaching staff of all the Concordia Colleges. Way to Go Lexis.
Have fun, we miss you a lot and you will be in our prayers.
Love Bonnie and Nigel
Aw hun, you're an adult! What the hell happened to that little girl I knew!? *pouts* Just wanted to drop a line and say heya and I miss your e-mails! My puppy is sitting here snoring, occasionally farting, and generally being a pest. You'd like him!
Well I'm off for a walk with Oliver, talk to ya later Lucky!
Alexis! Is you campus green cuz outside your window looks pretty brown? So you looked pretty snazzy all dressed up to go clubbing. Haha that's so awesome you got to go clubbing. Haha i think i would actually think that would be a blast and we would have fun, so its too bad i cant go with ya. haha well call me soon one of these nights.
Post a Comment